Information

Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar Problem

firefox-logo smallProblem: Your Firefox bookmark toolbar is empty.

Solution:

1. Right-click on any Firefox toolbar.
  2. Select Customize from the sort cut menu.
  3. Click the Restore Default Set button.
  4. Click the Done button. This will fix the problem in many cases.

This worked for me.

If this does not fix the problem for you, and you find a different solution that does, please add your comments here explaining how you did it.

————————————–

Related Books

————————————–

Comments

27 comments:

Glad you were able to solve your Firefox bookmarks/toolbar problem (without having to delete Profiles files and reinstall your Firefox..).

When I had my problem, I ended up getting reattached to Opera, because not being able to add to/edit my toolbar was sooo frustrating. Mine had not completely disappeared like yours, though.

Since solving the bookmarks issue, Firefox and I are good friends again, and we all play nicely with the two versions of Opera I keep, as well.

Alicson / November 14th, 2006, 12:28 am / #

Many thanks, I had the bookmarks toolbar problem in one of my laptops which did not resolve after reinstalling Firefox. Many thanks, your solution worked fine :)

S E Abraham / January 30th, 2007, 10:55 am / #

thanks!! This helped me! it was very frustrating.
It happened when i added one of the firefox addons

Akhtar / February 25th, 2007, 6:24 pm / #

Thank you! :D

Adrey Sorochan / February 28th, 2007, 5:19 am / #

Sheesh! You saved my bacon! I’ve been pulling my hair out over this for several weeks!

Thank you!

Kevin Kennedy-Spaien / March 26th, 2007, 10:15 am / #

This wouldn’t work for me. When I right clicked on the toolbar the “customize” link was not there. I’m running 2.0.0.3.

Tony Green / April 11th, 2007, 10:15 am / #

I also have 2.0.0.3, and I still have the Customise link.

Is it possible you are right-clicking the menu bar rather than the tool bar?

Doug / April 11th, 2007, 1:14 pm / #

Got a strange issue with Firefox 2.0.0.3.

I loaded a few add-ins and started to customize my toolbar. Moving thnigs around, like dragging the File… Edit… View… menu to one side, having the URL space to the far left, and swapping out “extraneous” navigation bar icons (refresh).

My major issue now is that it seems like clicking “Restore Default Set” (right click the menu bar, choose “Customize”) forces in duplicate sets of the standard icons (Back, Forward, Refresh, the URL window, and the Google/Search window)! I seem to have about three sets across the top row now and I can no longer remove icons from the Navigation toolbar. Dragging them into the Customize window doesn’t remove them, and I can’t drag them into new locations on any toolbar.

I’ve tried re-installing Firefox (on top of itself, not by uninstalling first) and also clearing cache etc. to see if it helped but these failed to fix it. My next move is a full uninstall and re-install, but first I need to track my Add-on installs and themes. Hopefully this annoyance is fixed :(

AtriumXP / April 20th, 2007, 3:11 pm / #

That sounds like a real hassel, AtriumXP!

It sounds like a bug that you should report to the FireFox bug team!

Doug / April 21st, 2007, 11:07 am / #

I had the same issue with the bookmark toolbar being empty. Follow the instructions worked like a charm. I did have to re- customize my navigation toolbar again.

Eddie / May 31st, 2007, 5:58 pm / #

Thank you! I had the same bookmark toolbar problem you had, and your suggested solution worked. Saved me a reinstall.

CAREY / June 23rd, 2007, 9:46 pm / #

Thanks! I could not figure out what the deal was, and was almost going to do a complete uninstall!

Webleaper / June 27th, 2007, 1:36 pm / #

Somebody saved . . . me.

Just before I was going to uninstall firefox, which would have been a pain.

michael / July 4th, 2007, 8:55 am / #

THANK YOU THANK YOU! I have been searching for solutions for 2 days and it was driving me nuts!! You get to rely on the simplest things sometimes.

You, sir, are my hero! :)

Doug / July 24th, 2007, 10:46 am / #

[…] totally unstalling Firefox and then reinstalling everything, so I was glad to find a solution on discover doug and even happier when it worked. And: it’s a simple […]

i-eclectica.org » Blog Archive » Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar not working anymore / July 29th, 2007, 10:47 pm / #

thanks matie - your solution is till working; i’m very happy and grateful :)

isiria / July 29th, 2007, 10:50 pm / #

THANK YOU…damn..sometimes it’s just soooo easy…
this made me crazy for month now!

afx2000 / September 13th, 2007, 3:16 pm / #

Thank You. I have tried to find the solution for two days.

Kim WOng / January 23rd, 2008, 4:26 pm / #

had that problem for months and just got around to googling for a solution … yours was simple and effective.

Many thanks.

Jon / February 13th, 2008, 3:15 pm / #

Holy Crap!!! It was that easy!? Wow. I’ve dealt with this for months without taking the time to Google for a solution. Now, 5 minutes later it’s fixed. Well, I feel stupid, but quite grateful to you for posting the solution. Thanks!

Russianspi / April 29th, 2008, 9:25 pm / #

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

pat / June 20th, 2008, 3:37 am / #

Wow! Such an old post solved a problem I was having with Firefox 3 !!! Thank you thank you thank you

Stewart Marshall / June 22nd, 2008, 9:42 pm / #

THANK YOU!

Michael Babcock / July 14th, 2008, 12:07 am / #

Or just skip the third part and just click Done when the Customize windows appears.

poboxy / September 3rd, 2008, 2:13 pm / #

Tony / October 23rd, 2008, 1:00 pm / #

The “Restore Default Set” button worked like a charm! Thanks.

Lee Kelleher / January 5th, 2009, 9:34 am / #

the following worked for me:

(FF3.0.1.)
right click the (empty toolbar), hit “sort by name”.

tada!